About the course
This is a comprehensive look at the current evidence and guidance relating to all aspects of cancer care as it applies to us as coal face GPs.
This course is able to look in much more detail at the big picture behind the disease perhaps most feared by our patients, and let’s face it, that 1 in 2 of us will be diagnosed with over our lifetime.
· Early diagnosis: Why is it so difficult and how we can shift the balance in favour of our patients?
· Lifestyle advice: is it really worth it?
· Cancer screening: Is early detection worth the burden of over diagnosis? How do we discuss this complex idea with patients?
· Cancer as a long term condition – what are the needs of your patients and what are the learning needs of your team?
We also focus in detail on some tricky areas:
· Difficult to spot cancers e.g. myeloma, lymphoma, renal tract cancers, sarcoma.
· Tumour markers: When and how to use them.
· Is aspirin the new cancer wonder drug?
And a Red Whale course wouldn’t be complete with lots of practical tips to go home with:
· Identifying a relevant cancer family history and what to do with it!
· How to follow up pre-cancerous conditions like Barrett’s oesophagus.
· Identifying a teachable moment and making the most of it.
· How to do a really good cancer care review.
· Find out which cancer treatment reduces fatigue, improves bone density, mental health and quality of life – and has no side effects.
· Best practice prescribing in ‘End of life care’ including how to make sense of all the different morphine preparations and how to sort out intractable hiccups.
· Lots of case studies to embed your knowledge in a patient story – the way most of us learn best!
· A printed copy of the GP Cancer Update Handbook including the results of the most important research relevant to cancer over the last 5 years and covering the subjects more extensively than is possible in the course. A valuable resource for future reference and personal study.
· An overview of the new NICE guidance, incorporating both tumour specific and symptom based guidance, concise enough to be used easily within a consultation.
· 12 months' subscription to www.gpcpd.com. Home of both the GP Update and Cancer Update books online, with three times the content of the handbooks, it allows you to capture CPD credits as you read on the site and use it in consultations! It also comes with focused learning activities to earn further CPD credits…at the end of the year you simply upload everything ready for your appraiser.
· Buffet lunch and refreshments throughout the day.