Enquire about this course
About the course
This course, led and delivered by surgeons, is aimed at providing surgical nurse practitioners and theatre nurses a structured programme to learn fundamental surgical skills and techniques that will be applicable across all surgical specialities. The delegates will be introduced to the safe principles underpinning the various basic surgical techniques with individual tuition under the direct supervision of surgeons. Participants will be assessed throughout the course and a certificate will be issued upon successful completion.
Learning Style: The course is held over two days with a series of practical demonstrations and hands on sessions. Techniques will be practiced on prepared animal tissue, synthetic models and simulation.
Learning Outcomes: On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop a sound understanding of sutures, suture materials and needles.
- Appropriately handle commonly used surgical instruments in a safe manner.
- Create and secure surgical knots.
- Perform instrument tie.
- Appreciate the mechanism of action and safe dosage of local anaesthetics
- Carry out the following suturing techniques – interrupted, horizontal and vertical mattress, continuous and sub-cuticular
- Understand the principles of using safe diathermy.
- Perform, using a safe and effective technique, excision of skin lesions and cysts; abscess drainage and excision; and wound management and debridement.
- Insert and fix wound drains.
- Understand basic laparoscopy skills, instrumentation and hand-eye coordination.
- Surgical Nurse Practitioners
- Theatre Nurses
- Peri-operative Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Nurse Practitioners
- Scrub Nurses
07 Oct 2017
Education Centre Christie Hospital Manchester