Clinical Anatomy of the Mitral Valve Cadaveric Course
Provided by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow
About the course
Please note that the closing date for this course is 20 February 2019.
This multidisciplinary and highly interactive course aims to provide in-depth understanding of cardiac anatomy, with an emphasis on the surgical and echocardiographic anatomy of the mitral valve.
Providing hands on experience using fresh/frozen cadaveric material this one day course will cover:
- Assessment of mitral valve repairability using TOE
- Assessment of risk of SAM using TOE
- Surgical evaluation of the mitral valve
- Principles of valve repair and an understanding of techniques of repair
- Intraoperative decision-making
- Peri and post operative assessment of valve repair
- Ablation procedures for atrial fibrillation: anatomical basis and indications
Course work will include:
- prosection of the human heart
- hands-on instruction on TOE using simulators
- group cadaveric work with intact human thoraces, including exposure and assessment of valves in situ
- video presentations
- didactic teaching
The course is ideally suitable for cardiology, cardiac surgery and anaesthesia trainees ST3-6.