Essential Surgical Skills and their Application: For Medical Students and Junior Doctors
Provided by Doctors Academy
About the course
This one-day course is aimed at providing the delegate with an overview of the essential principles, core concepts and fundamental skills relevant for early surgical training. The course predominantly comprises of hands-on training in surgical skills using animal tissue interspersed with structured and focused teaching on the principles of management of trauma and operative surgery. With a high tutor-to-delegate ratio, this course is designed to equip the delegate with the essential surgical skills that will be expected of a clinical medical student or junior doctor in the operating theatre. There will also be discussions on the management of patients with trauma and those presenting with surgical emergencies.
- Aseptic precautions
- Suture materials and needles
- Safe use of local anaesthesia
- Surgical instrument handling
- Secure knot tying
- Basic suturing techniques (simple interrupted; simple continuous; subcuticular; vertical mattress; and horizontal mattress)
- Excision of a lesion
- Drainage of an abscess
- Wound debridement
- Role of antibiotics in trauma and surgery
- Principles of diathermy
- Wound healing and principles of reconstructive surgery
- Discussion of cases in trauma and general surgery
At the end of the course, the delegate should:
- have understood the importance of aseptic precautions in surgery.
- have gained an appreciation of the various suture materials and needles.
- be able to institute local anaesthesia in an efficient manner.
- be able to handle surgical instruments correctly and the sharps safely.
- be able to tie a secure reef and surgeon’s knot, and tie at depth.
- be able to perform the basic suturing techniques.
- be able to excise a lesion and close the wound.
- be able to drain an abscess and plan appropriate wound management.
- be able to debride a contaminated wound in an effective manner.
- have understood the principles of diathermy.
- have understood the essential concepts in wound healing and the principles of reconstructive surgery.
- be able to structure a safe initial management plan for patients presenting with trauma and emergency surgical conditions.
- Medical Students
- Foundation Year Doctors
- Core Surgical Trainees
- Junior Surgeons
- Advanced Nurse Practitioners
- Surgical Nurse Practitioners
- Theatre Assistants