MSc Neuroscience and Translational Medicine
About the course
From the bench to the bedside — help to transfer neuroscience and pharmacological discoveries into clinical use. Study topics from the principles of drug design and development to the clinical aspects of the management of major neurological diseases. The clinical component is unique to this course and ties together the scientific, clinical and personal aspects of neurological disease.
You will gain a thorough training in translational medicine, with a particular focus on unmet needs in diseases of the nervous system. You will critically discuss the challenges associated with developing better therapies in various diseases. At the end of your studies, you will have a detailed knowledge of the drug discovery and development process, and of clinical trial design and methodology. You will also gain insight into the regulatory environment.
This programme will give you an opportunity to
- Gain a thorough grounding in the principles underlying translational medicine
- Focus on diseases of the nervous system and the challenges associated with developing better therapies
- Explore laboratory methods and models used in drug discovery and the specific methodology of clinical trials
- Learn the steps involved in the development and implementation of new treatments and how to apply this knowledge in a future professional role
- Undertake your own research in writing your dissertation