About the course
This course is aimed at providing surgical trainees interested in plastic surgery or junior surgeons in plastic surgery with a sound foundation of the surgical principles pertinent at this level. The day will predominantly consist of hands-on practical skills workshops on animal tissue and simulated models, which will provide the attendee with the opportunity to design various local flaps, practice various surgical approaches to the hand, and gain a thorough understanding of the various methods of flexor and extensor tendon repairs. The day, with a high delegate-to-tutor ratio, will cover the principles and designs of local flaps, the execution of various types of Z-plasties, and the assessment of hand, wrist and forearm injuries. It will also discuss the surgical approaches to different hand conditions and the principles of flexor and extensor tendon repair techniques and their rehabilitation.
By the end of this course, the attendee should be able to:
- understand the principles and designs of local flaps.
- choose appropriate local flaps for various clinical scenarios.
- design and execute common local flaps including rotation, transposition, advancement, rhomboid and hatchet flaps on simulators and animal tissue.
- understand the principles and designs of various types of Z-plasties.
- design and execute various Z-plasties – simple Z-plasty, multiple Z-plasties, four flap Z-plasty and five flap Z-plasty – on simulators and animal tissue.
- understand the various surgical approaches to the hand and hand conditions.
- confidently assess and evaluate hand, wrist and forearm injuries.
- understand the principles of flexor and extensor tendon repair techniques and rehabilitation.
- understand the various exposures for repairing flexor and extensor tendons.
- perform different types of flexor tendon repairs including modified Kessler technique, cruciate repair, Pulvertaft weave, and epitendinous repairs such as continuous and Silfverskiold sutures.
- understand the different rehabilitative regimes for various zones of tendon repairs.
- recognise the complications of flexor tendon repairs.