About the course
This course uses a hybrid learning approach to discuss core principles of minor oral surgical procedures, as well as to provide the delegate with ample opportunity to practise extraction techniques, flap elevation, various suturing techniques, bone removal using surgical motors, and the advancement of a flap for oroantral communication.
There will be two evening sessions (1800-2000 hours), which will take place via Zoom and discuss the key theoretical concepts that underpin important minor oral surgical procedures. There will also be an attendance day during which delegates will practise those procedures on animal tissue.
Delegates must attend all three sessions to receive a Certificate of Completion.
14th June 2022 (1800-2000 hours)- Online via Zoom
- Key principles that underpin the clinical and radiological assessment of teeth before extraction.
- Extraction techniques, including positioning of the chair and choice of instruments in specificsituations.
- The principles of and technique for using elevators and luxators to remove roots, as well as impacted teeth and roots.
15th June 2022 (1800-2000 hours)- Online via Zoom
- Anatomical consideration and basic principles of flap elevation and suturing techniques.
- Surgical extraction techniques.
- Complications of dental extractions and their management.
18th June 2022 (0900-1600 hours) - West Berkshire Community Hospital, Thatcham, Berkshire
- Practical session on extraction techniques using forceps, elevators and luxators.
- Practical session on flap elevation.
- Practical session on various suturing techniques.
- Practical session on bone removal using surgical motors.
- Practical session on the advancement of a flap for oroantral communication.
- Interactive discussion on the rationale behind immediate basic surgical management of complications in general practice to avoid late complications.
- Interactive discussion on the steps and techniques involved in immediate surgical repair following oroantral communication and fracture tuberosity.
- Interactive discussion on thepre-operative precautions to be taken in patients on antiplatelets and anticoagulants and with bleeding disorders.
- Interactive discussion on the current guidelines for the management of patients with new oral anticoagulants.
- Interactive discussion on different techniques and alternative ways to preserve bone for implant placement in the future.
- Interactive discussion on the indications and contraindications of coronectomies, how to select patients who can be offered a coronectomy, and the steps involved in the surgical procedure.