MSc/PGDip in Tactical Military Austere and Operational Medicine (online)
Provided by Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry
About the course
This three-year online MSc, or two-year online PGDip, will equip you with a deep understanding of advanced resuscitation techniques, up-to-date science and the practice of tactical medicine in a variety of austere settings.
Designed by an expert faculty with first-hand, "boots on the ground" experience of international deployed emergency and prehospital medicine, this is the first postgraduate programme to address the challenges of providing advanced resuscitative care in the tactical, remote or austere setting. While many programmes address “first world” specialist care, few scratch the surface of the whole patient pathway from point of wounding, especially where access to conventional emergency medical services may be hampered by tactical issues or a harsh environment. In the expeditionary or deployed setting, medical illnesses still predominate, and can cause a complex medical and operational burden. This programme has assembled experts with real-world experience of deploying in the harshest of environments: marine, desert, arctic, jungle and underwater. As well as reviewing the latest developments in resuscitation science, they will draw on their experience of providing this care in the tactical, remote and austere setting.
This course will provide the opportunity to:
- Understand the key aspects of tactical, remote and austere emergency medicine
- Develop a broad and critical understanding of developments in advanced resuscitation, and adapt it to providing care in these challenging settings
- Engage in weekly tutorials with direct access to key opinion leaders
- Experience hands-on training from internationally-renowned experts at our optional summer school
- Gain research skills through independent study
We welcome students from both overseas and the UK. The course is designed with broad value to military, humanitarian, emergency medical service and tactical medicine operators – including physicians, nurses, paramedics and law-enforcement medics.