About the course
After completing this module, you should have the knowledge and confidence to:
- List the common and serious causes of loin pain and renal colic and outline common accompanying symptoms
- Outline indications and contraindications for an urgent intravenous urogram (IVU) or computed tomography (CT) scan of the kidneys, ureter, and bladder (CT KUB)
- Perform full examination to elicit signs of renal pathology
- Order, interpret, and act on initial investigations: blood tests, urinalysis, urine culture and microscopy, radiographs, ultrasound
- Prescribe appropriate analgesia and commence appropriate antibiotics when an infective cause is likely.
These learning objectives are based on the competencies listed in the UK Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board’s core medical training curriculum section Other important presentations - Loin pain.